For years I knew my calling but I resisted it. I had great reasons for not following my destiny:
- I was not confident
- I had unresolved issues
- I did not like being in the limelight — I enjoyed small intimate groups
- I was not emotionally ready
- I had kids to take care of
- I had a job
- I was sick
God started playing the tough-love act and after a while, things started to fall apart. Slowly I started taking baby steps — just putting one foot in front the other. As I started walking in faith and heeding my calling, things started falling in place. I know many of you either don’t know what your calling is or don’t know how to get started; however, 2015 is the year to start. All you have to do is take the first step!
Do away with New Year’s resolutions
Last year I decided to make Daley Word’s theme: dance like nobody’s watching. I gave up on resolutions because they seem so temporary, demoralizing and stressful. I found with resolutions, I concentrated on the “thing” I was doing more than I concentrated on living. Conversations were about this “goal” I was trying to achieve and all topics centered around whatever that resolution was. That’s not what life is about … it’s about living.
While I had challenges in 2014 I achieved the most I’ve ever achieved without the pressure of “resolutions”.
- I started (and maintained) my blog
- I am partnering with Clayton State to start instructing
- My health improved
- I lost 10 lbs
- I was able to visit my native country of Panama for the first time since 1977
- I started volunteering at Sacred Journey Hospice
- I landed my dream contract
- and much, much more!
Live on purpose in 2015!
Last year dancing like nobody’s watching got me far! This year let’s all live on purpose! What does that mean?
Wake up each morning and do something that makes you feel fulfilled. Call a sick friend, carry out a random act of kindness, start filling out an application to go back to school, go to church, research a career that you’ve always wanted to purpose … do ANYTHING that makes you feel good from the inside out.
What did you say? You’re afraid? What if someone laughs? What if you … fail?
Bring your baggage with you
There is nothing wrong with feeling scared, silly, anxious, insecure or whatever other uncomfortable feeling that you may feel. You are human! The only thing that is wrong is letting those negative human feelings stop you from doing. So what if someone laughs … just laugh with them. So what if you are afraid … courage is doing something even when you are afraid. So what if you fail … that is where you learn. The best way to become more comfortable in yourself is to do!
A few things to remember …
- Nothing worth having comes easy.
- It’s okay to get help … a life coach, a therapist, your pastor … someone neutral. Living life on purpose will conjure up all kinds of insecurities. Everyone needs guidance … even leaders! If the President can have advisors, so can you!
- Do not let excellence get in the way of living. When in doubt just do and be sure to have fun doing it.
- Throw perfectionism out the door. Going for perfect is just an excuse not to make progress.
- Live, laugh, love … and cry when you need to.
Subscribe to the blog today
All year long I will be sharing tips, exercises and tools to help you live your life on purpose for a purpose. I will also openly share my challenges, triumphs and failures. Come along on this journey and bring your baggage with you … you can lighten your load as you go. Happy New Year!